We now have a Volunteer Policy which outlines what we can offer volunteers and what we ask of our volunteers. We hope to expand our volunteer numbers in the future and will update the website with details of specific projects that we require volunteers for. In the meantime if you are interested in volunteering with us please get in touch to discuss it further.
We are looking for people with the following:
- A knowledge of something (archives, ships, trains or engines) - we like to match collections to specialist knowledge where possible.
- Time to spare - this could be as little as a couple of hours a week or daily attendance (within office hours).
- Attention to detail - the records require accurate and detailed listing.
- Willingness to learn - we have set procedures for processing records.
- All the tea and chocolate biscuits you can manage!
- A chance to socialise with friendly individuals.
- Training in computers and specific IT software if you wish.
- The opportunity to help preserve Scotland's industrial past.
We have a volunteering opportunity for school leavers aged 16-18 in partnership with Project Scotland. Visit their website to find out more and search using our postcode PA5 8AB.
The Ballast Trust has also appeared as a case study in the 2009 report on volunteering in archives by the National Council of Archives.